Saturday, July 4, 2009

Arches National Park to Florissant Colorado - Nature Ali's Grand Adventure - Day 4, June 23rd.

I slept in and then did some photo housekeeping so I didn't get into Arches National Park until 10:30 a.m. I was worried I had blown the best light of the day, but my friend, Mother Nature gave me a break with lovely clouds and even a few drops of rain that kept the temperature pleasant and the sky full of contrast; perfect for photography.
I spent the entire day at the park, not leaving until 6:30 p.m. The first stop was as you climb into the park is at the Moab Fault, which is along the highway into Moab. Surveying the tectonic boundary where 6 million years ago the earth shift and elevated the west side of the fault 2600 ft. Glad I wasn't standing there when that happened, but of course I wouldn't be reporting this today if it had, (that would have been an impressive exit to this amazing life!)
The point of the visit was to see arches, but there were amazing vistas as well; balanced rocks, petrified sand dunes, and impressive monoliths. I hiked on many of the trails where arches were to be found and wasn't planning to stop at Balanced Rock but there was a Park Service employee with a sign saying ask about birds... how could I resist. She had a scope trained on a now abandoned raven nest. Her day was ending just as I arrived so I hiked around the rock, an impressive piece of natural sculpture.
I took the drive to the Delicate Arch viewing area which really is an impressive arch. Then I decided to head toward Devils Garden and see what other arches were in the park.
On my way I stopped to find an arch I saw from the road, but couldn't find it as there were no trails, interesting that this geological area wasn't interpreted until two Peregrine Falcons appeared... no wonder, the Park Service was protecting this area without mentioning why.

The Peregrines were diving on a White-throated Swift and both species were really giving a show, unfortunately I did not have my long-lens with me thinking I was just going to photograph landscapes. I do not know the fate of the swift as they flew over the ridge but that bird looked really tired. I found multiple arches beyond along with some amazing rock formations.
After leaving Arches at 6:30 p.m. I drove non-stop and reached Florissant, Colorado at 2:30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment