Friday, July 10, 2009

Nature Ali’s Grand Adventure – Day 13, July 2nd.

I had always wanted to visit the White House but it was one stop I had never had the opportunity. My sister-in-law works for the Office of Management and Budget at the White House so I finagled a tour from her. She was a great tour guide… while she didn’t know the normal spiel it was good to just be with a normal person who could comment on things we found mutually interesting. Of course, I expect she thinks me even weirder than before as it was the squirrel and birds on the grounds that made me more excited. The grounds have the trees marked which always helps me narrow down what I might be seeing in parks around Kern County.
After our visit, I left Kate as I was anxious to get out of my fancy clothes and into more comfortable shoes. Off to visit the Washington, DC office of Audubon. That is a great office full of interesting and passionate people dedicated to the cause of protecting our planet. Have I mentioned how much I love Audubon and all that our organization does? I met all of the staff but was especially pleased to meet Liz Pomper who is a Facebook friend. Her enthusiasm and smile was a sight for sore eyes. She introduced me to everyone in the office.
We set a date to meet for birding in the morning and then I left to lobby my Senators about strengthening the Global Climate Change legislation while making sure there were habitat protections in the bill. Afterwords I walked around the National Mall photographing the buildings and of course the critters. A family of Great-crested Flycatchers was nesting across from the Hart Office building on the Capitol grounds.
I then drove to Roosevelt Island Park to hike the trail and bird. It was muggy and although the sun was shining it began to pour while I was on the backside of the park. I got soaked but the weather was warm and my only concern was getting the cameras wet. I came across the memorial to Teddy Roosevelt in the middle of the island. A neat place with a statue of the man and some beautiful fountains, it looks as though the park service neglects this place which makes it more rustic. The ambience suits the vision I have of Teddy… after his tour as President he became the first Vice-President of Audubon so I feel a strong connection to his legacy.
Another day with only local driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment