Friday, July 10, 2009

Nature Ali's Grand Adventure - Day 16, July 5th.

I left the motel with all intents to drive to Key West, but thought I hadn’t done enough birding so I stopped at a rest stop in Georgia and the helpful man told me of Jekyll Island. I thought it sounded interesting so headed off for a quick tour of the place. I didn’t know Manatees ranged in Georgia. I didn’t see any but there were signs all over the place to watch for manatees. The island itself was nice.
I went to the nature center and birded a bit but since I am here at the wrong season there isn’t as much to see but the butterflies and dragonflies are impressive. I did find a Northern Parula feeding in the shrubs and trees near the nature center. I then drove to the beach by the convention center and found lots of Laughing Gulls and a few terns. Among the gulls a strange gull that turned out to be an out of place Black-headed Gull. A lifer for me and somewhat of a frustration since I can’t get on the Internet and let local birders know of this unusual bird in breeding plumage. Damn AT&T!
Anyway, more nature trails to explore. Found a skink at the campground on the north end of the island. I finished my visit to the island by visiting their Visitor’s Center and taking in the view from their newly constructed viewing platform. An impressive structure indeed! I left Georgia behind and drove straight down I-95 stopping at a reststop to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment