Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase Escalante & Capitol Reef National Parks - Nature Ali's Grand Adventure - Day 3. June 22nd.

I drove into Bryce as dawn broke at 5 a.m. A family of pronghorn lazily grazed beside the road. Dad was to my left and Mom with her twins was to my right. No great photos but a fun way to start the day. Of course, the day had me thinking of my own family and my brother Ned who was hopefully enjoying his birthday.


Knowing nothing about Bryce Canyon National Park and being so early in the morning there was no one to ask, so I drove to Bryce Point which seemed like a logical spot to start. Over a dozen other people had the same idea. It was amazing the grandeur of the place as all in attendance seemed to take something spiritual from the experience, complete silence from the crowd, except for the click of many camera shutters.

Took a walk toward Inspiration Point on the trail, along the way boisterous Clark's Nutcrackers shared the trip with me. I saw and heard Mountain Chickadees and Violet Green Swallows, then heard some warblers that I was unfamiliar with, a pair of Virginia Warblers greeted me. Fun. While chasing to photograph the warblers, a Hopi Chipmunk sat quietly hoping that I did not see it. Well the photos prove otherwise.

On the walk back to my truck, a family of Golden-mantled ground squirrels scurried about. A few more photographs and I was off to Paria Point. I spoke to several friendly people along the boardwalk to the overlook. Green-tailed towhees were singing their heads off, unfortunately all were back lit so no great photos.

Bryce Canyon National Park is beautiful but not a park for those who are car touring, best for the adventurous hikers.

I left to explore Capitol Reef via Grand Staircase - Escalante. The Grand Staircase is an amazing place, you can see for miles and just my luck the day was pretty clear. The drive is over 110 miles from Bryce to Capitol Reef and their is no cell service or other services. Gas and food are needed before heading out on this adventure.

Capitol Reef was a delight although my stay far too short. I saw five different species of squirrel right in the picnic area where a herd of pretty tame deer hang out.

I continued on to Arches National Park, where the campgrounds were full so I spent the night in an expensive motel in Moab. I did get access to the internet there though so it had a benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment